Sunday, October 21, 2012

Clinical Creativity In The Era of Evidence Based Medicine

One of the most interesting features of the i-Tunes store, is the effortlessness with which you may accumulate a listing of 'covers' to various songs. For example, I have play lists consisting of many, many versions of 'All Along The Watchtower', 'Boots of Spanish Leather', 'Moondance', and "Buffalo Skinners'. These songs fascinate me with respect to their lyrical value in my eyes and from my perspective.


I find it a fascinating and enlightening exercise to listen to familiar 'tunes' done by both the original artist in different venues as well as 'covered' by other artists. This activity emphasizes to me the centrality of individual creativity and stylistic differences; while the true essence of the music and lyrics are expressed and preserved at the same time you are compelled to undergo an expansion of your appreciation of the piece. Contrast this to an imaginary concert in which 30 'different' and 'individual' Elvis Impersonators all performed renditions of 'Blue Suede Shoes.' I hardly believe my appreciation of the song or the process of performing the song are deepened or enlightened by a mechanical attempt to reproduce the original effects of the 'king' during his performance of the piece.   

The question hidden within the above hypothetical 'mind' concert is what is the true relationship between the Evidence Based Medicine movement and the practice of medicine?  Should it be analogous to my playlist of versions of 'All Along The Watchtower' or rather a concert of 'Elvis' Impersonators? 

No comments:

Post a Comment